Explore the MicroFab Lab Design Center to learn how best to draw and submit drawings that are compatible with our tools.
Laser Cutting Tips:
- If you have your own CAD drawing software, please submit your files in a .dxf file format and .pdf format with dimensions.
- Please specify the units of the drawing. We prefer metric (mm).
- Please scale the drawing to 1:1.
- Erase all double lines.
- Make sure all the lines are connected (no gaps).
- Account for the beam size when drawing your part.
Inkscape is an open-source vector graphics editor similar to Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, or Xara X. It is free to use and can be used to make 2D drawings compatible with MicroFab Lab equipment such as the laser systems and CNC machines.
How to draw your part for laser cutting using Inkscape:
- The laser beam will follow the path of your lines. So, if you would like to cut our a circle, draw a circle that is not filled in. The laser will cut around the circumference of the circle.
- Once you have completed your drawing, open Object > Fill and Stroke window and set the “Stroke style width to 0.010mm: